Many times, Whenever we plug in pen drive or any other USB or external device like flash drive, Memory card, Mobile phone or external HDD. A balloon appears at the tray which says “USB Device Not Recognized, one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows doesn’t recognize it”. This is an annoying error and doesn’t disappear even after plugging-in the device into another port. One thing to notice is that, its a windows problem and happens due to corrupted windows drivers, Your external storage device is absolutely fine.
Some of the common reasons behind USB device not recognized windows problem:
1) Incorrect USB drivers installed on your system.
2) The Computer system doesn’t support USB 2.0 or 3.0.
3) Malfunction in Host controller hardware is occurred.
4) Conflict between attached devices.
How To Fix USB Device Not Recognized Windows Problem:
1) Plug in your USB device in your computer.
2) Click on Start button, Then Run and type devmgmt.msc , and press enter. A device management window will open.
3) You will find an option for “Universal Serial Bus controllers” at last, expand it by clicking (+) sign.
4) After that, you will get a list of USB Device controllers, inspect the list correctly, you will find an unknown device entry like this.
5) Now, right click on “Unknown device” and click on uninstall.
6) Once done, right click on any of the device driver in list and click on “Scan for Hardware Changes”. This will install new USB device driver automatically.
7) Close window, and restart your computer.
Now on wards you will not get USB device not recognized windows problem at the time of connecting your external device to your computer.